Saturday, June 25, 2011

Blast from the past

One of Ms. Laura's nephews, Bernard, was the executor of her estate and one of the nicest guys you'd ever meet.  On the day of closing, he said he has a picture of the house on the day it was finished in 1937 and that I could have it.  I was thrilled!  Imagine how rare it would be to have someone provide the history of a 75 year-old home!  With photos!  Late yesterday afternoon, he called to ask if I would be home for a while and if he could stop by and bring the picture.  Coincidentally, yesterday was my birthday.  There's no way he would've known but he had just offered the best birthday present I could've possibly received.  I was stunned when I saw the photo!  I knew there had been three rooms, a carport and the front porch added on sometime after the initial construction, but had no idea how those changes really affected the overall appearance of the home I see today.  Bernard said that Laura and Ray were married in 1936 and began construction on the house, but that it wasn't finished until 1937.  He said there are many more pictures to be perused and he believes his cousin has them.  He also has Laura's and Ray's marriage license, so I asked if I could borrow it to make a copy.  I really don't want a lot of their photos and "artifacts" but I think a few would make interesting conversation pieces.  It's funny how the simplest things in life really can bring the most excitement. 

Sometimes, a change of scenery can really change your pace in life.  This change of moving back out to the country also brought with it the chance to meet good people and be a part of a great community.  I couldn't be happier.

Original house!


Caption on back of photo.  $1,800.00!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment